Malak is highly experienced in a variety of specialized and challenging areas, including fire protection for HVAC and plumbing systems.
A firestop or fire-stopping is a form of passive fire protection that is used to seal around openings and between joints in a fire-resistance-rated wall or floor assembly. Firestops are designed to maintain the fireproofing of a wall or floor assembly allowing it to impede the spread of fire and smoke.
Firestops prevent unprotected horizontal and vertical penetrations in a fire-resistance-rated wall or floor assembly from creating a route by which fire and smoke can spread that would otherwise have been fire resisting construction.
Fire stopping is also to seal around gaps between fire resisting constructions, e.g. the linear gap between a wall and the floor above, in order for the construction to form a complete barrier to fire and smoke spread.
Firestops are used in:
- Electrical, mechanical, and structural penetrations
- Unpenetrated openings (such as openings for future use)
- Re-entries of existing firestops
- Control or sway joints in fire-resistance-rated wall or floor assemblies
- Junctions between fire-resistance-rated wall or floor assemblies
- Head-of-wall (HOW) joints, where non-load-bearing wall assemblies meet floor assemblies
Where is Firestop Required?
- All new construction & retrofit projects.
- Industrial, Institutional & Commercial
- Apartment Buildings
- Nursing Homes
- Office Buildings
- Where fire rated assemblies are being penetrated
- Fire Command Centers
- Mechanical rooms
- T. Rooms ….Etc.
- Mineral Wool
- Intumescent Sealant
- Silicone SL
- Acrylic Sealant
- Wrap Strip
- Putty Pads
- Composite Sheets